We have been stuck a rut with the same meals over and over again. I saw a recipe on Pinterest and wanted to give it a try. However I tweaked it a bit to fit in with what we like.
Mushrooms are a great alternative to meat. They have a meaty texture, can be eaten so many different ways, and are affordable. They are good for heart health, and your Immune System. They are low in fat, calories, and sodium but high in fiber and protein.
King Oyster Mushrooms are the largest in the Oyster Mushrooms. This is the first time I have cooked with Oyster Mushrooms before.
4 King Oyster Mushrooms
2TBSP of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tsp of smoked paprika
¼ tsp of salt
2 cloves of garlic
- Pre-heat oven to 400F
- Wipe the mushrooms with a dry dishcloth removing any dirt
- Shred the mushrooms with 2 forks, it should look like pulled pork
- Place on a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat
- Cover the mushrooms with 1TBSP EVOO, paprika, salt and garlic and mix together with your hands.
- Place in the oven for 15-20 minutes
- Heat a pan on medium heat with the last 1TBSP of EVOO
- Add the mushroom mix and BBQ Sauce
- Cook for 3-5 minutes until the sauce thickens
- Serve on a bun, taco or bread!
This tasted pretty close to pulled pork. Lilly does not like mushrooms but she ate her sandwich and asked for the rest for lunch tomorrow.
I found that the mushrooms shrunk a lot in the oven, I would double the recipe for the next time so that there is enough for leftovers.
We served our on Buns with Corn on the cob. You could pair it with anything!